It’s the beginning of the year and the perfect timing for some fun professional learning and team-building activities. Why not combine the two together with this FUN Digital Escape Room that covers Professional Learning topics needed to start the school year?
Kick-off your school year with the teachers by having them complete this Professional Learning Escape Room. In groups, the teachers will have a little friendly competition to see who can escape first. It would be so fun to have the room decorated with the school’s theme and then have theme-based prizes to give to the winning teams. Other prizes will work too – we all know a jeans pass goes a long, long way in the world of a teacher.
Not only will this escape room be a fun team-building activity, but it will also cover some important topics needed to start the school year.
“What topics are covered, you ask?” GREAT QUESTION!
- Providing Effective Feedback: Qualities of effective feedback being provided to students
- Debunking Differentiation Myths: What it is and what it is not
- Formative Instructional Process: Effectively planning curriculum for your content
To start, teachers will collaborate to determine which examples of teacher feedback are strong examples versus the ones that are not as effective. Next up, they will complete an activity where they have to identify which statements about differentiation are truths versus ones that are myths. Following that is a riddle teachers will have to decode then they will complete a sort activity based on the Formative Instructional Process. Lastly, they have a puzzle activity with a hidden code to complete.
These activities will be sure to strike some discussion as teachers work to figure out the codes for each room. And don’t worry if these are professional learning topics you haven’t really covered yet – this Digital Escape Room comes with a slideshow to review the topics for the escape room activities and also includes a little cheat sheet that teachers will have to use. Oh, and the cheat sheet will make a great tool for teachers to have throughout the year to refer back to when planning their lessons and giving feedback to students. It’s a win-WIN!
What the Escape Room Includes:
- Digital Escape Room Covering PL Topics
- Printable Version of Escape Room
- Cheat Sheet for Covered Topics
- Answer Key to Escape Rooms
- Directions for Use
- “You Escaped” Poster Set
- Slideshow Presentation to Review Topics
Tips for How to Use It:
- Have Chromebooks out and ready or complete in the computer lab
- Print cheat sheets for staff to use
- Print code sheet for staff to use
- Decorate the room for added fun (optional)
- Share Escape Room with staff
- Share form link in a google classroom or email
- Create a bitly code to share on the board
- Walk around the room as staff completes the different rooms
- Have prizes to give away (optional)
- Mini review of topics covered at the beginning or the end
- The review could be a preview of the topics for the escape room or serve as a review at the end on the topics covered
This Digital Escape Room is the perfect activity to engage your teachers while still covering important topics. The start of the school year is the perfect time to really build up the morale of the teachers. While it’s very important to set the tone for the year with professional learning and setting expectations, you also want to make an effort to pump the teachers up for the school year. Why not combine the two in a fun way using this Professional Learning Escape Room?!
Happy Back to School Season!